I've been meaning to write this post for a while now. And since the Navy isn't exactly on my list of "Favorites" this afternoon I figured now would be a great time. You might even say I'm borderline "crazy submarine lady." (Better warn the children!)
I'm not even sure I need to write much about this abomination that is the new working uniform. The picture pretty much speaks for itself. Digital "aqua-flage"? Really? Are we trying to hide on our enormous Aircraft Carriers? Hey, bad guys! Here's a HUGE ship in the middle of the ocean and you can't see anyone on board because we are all wearing aqua-flage! Must be totally abandoned! Right. That's good plan. Or maybe it's to hide guys who fall in the water? Not sure that's such a good plan either. Or it could be created just for a rousing game of hide-and-go-seek on the submarine because they don't have enough to do already.
What I do know is that they cost a fortune. Whoever secured that contract with the Navy is absolutely making a killing. And since officers do not receive a uniform allowance the cost comes straight out of our living expenses. Who doesn't want to spend $500 on super cool aqua-flage clothes and accessories? I think I should get to go spend $500 on shoes now, don't you?
To add insult to injury, the whole concept of new working uniforms was supported largely because they were supposed to look better, and thus have different regulations than the previous working uniforms. But just as before, these uniforms are only authorized for work. That means that Tim can't meet us out in town, can't stop for a gallon of milk on his way home and can't even get gas off-base while wearing it.
So, let me get this straight? They are ugly. They cost us a great deal out of pocket. And you still can only wear them to work and home. Nice. Sounds like a perfectly great use of your tax dollars and our paycheck for all the development and implementation. Good one Navy!
Just in case you didn't get the full effect above.
My husband just bought his too. They are so ugly!! And he already spent his uniform allowance earlier this year because all of his old uniforms were pretty much worn out.
ReplyDeleteMan, that does sound like a good deal for the company selling that lovely thing! Yikes!
ReplyDeleteyah, I hadn't seen them yet. I'm really looking forward to purchasing all new uniforms.
ReplyDeleteWe get a uniform allowance but it still ALWAYS urks me to spend it on uniforms LOL
My boyfriend and I had a VERY similar conversation to that one you wrote out! It just seems like another 'you can't apply logic to anything the Navy does' sort of situation. My favorite kind.
ReplyDeleteAnd even though enlisted get the uniform allowance, that doesn't mean it comes anywhre near close to covering the full cost of what they need...
I actually am looking forward to my husband getting his set (ok, not the money part of it; the cost is so ridiculous!) because, for enlisted, they are mainly replacing the utilities. I'm sorry, but it's hard to find anything worse than that uniform. We resorted to keeping one set he never wore just for inspections because he could easily ruin a pair in one week. Oh, and he's not a grease monkey, he sits in control! I think the rules are dumb, but I have heard they are a ton easier to keep clean, so that is a huge plus in my book. It's a lot harder to see grease stains on camo.
ReplyDeleteoh alicia. what i love about this post is that i can hear you saying every word just the way you would if i was sitting across from you at panera. makes me smile!
ReplyDeleteI am at a loss for words, except to say that Tim and Mark look so much alike that it's RIDICULOUS. We're booked for Sunday dinner, WOOO HOOOO!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT! Hysterical! Poor Amanda was having one of those days the other day, "the Navy isn't on the list of favorites," I'll direct her your way next time and you can give her a good pep talk. :)
ReplyDelete