My life now as a mother of boys makes me laugh. Today we were driving down the street and I said, "Mark! Look at that mini excavator! That's so cool!" Really. 4 years ago I didn't even know what a mini excavator was. And I certainly wouldn't have even noticed it as I drove past. The only time I noticed construction equipment was when it was driving very slowly in front of me on the highway. We walked to the end of our street when we got home and talked about all the different construction vehicles that were working and the jobs they were possibly doing. It's not exactly what I expected to be an expert on in my lifetime. Other "useful" knowledge I've picked up along the way: the difference between diesels and steam engines, the wide variety in motor noises, the way to clean sand out of diapers and hair. And there are all the other unexpected pieces of knowledge you pick up as a mother: learning to kiss away tears and hurt, the way you learn to tip-toe in a room to watch your child sleep, the ability to sense a cry before it even starts, and the knowledge that your heart will never ever quite be the same after being filled with the love for your children.
Yeah, this motherhood thing is a little different than I expected. And I was completely unprepared. But I think we are doing okay... If I could figure out the mini excavator, I can figure out anything, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment