Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sundays are Hard...

I think Sundays are the days I miss Tim the most. The other days of the week just sort of run together. Tim would be at work all day Monday - Friday anyway, but Sundays are our family day. We try really hard to protect it as a day for worship and time together. No work, no studying, no outside activities for the most part. So, these are the days that feel so empty when he's at sea. Everything we do on Sundays makes me painfully aware that he's gone.

I get up and get everyone ready for church - alone. I get the kids and bags into Sunday School and checked in - alone. I sit and wait for Sunday School to start - alone. I find a seat in the sanctuary - alone. I stand and smile during the fellowship song - alone. I come home, make lunch and put the kids down for a nap - alone. It's not that those things are that hard. (Well, maybe getting the kids and bags all into church in one trips is kinda hard!) But I can certainly manage. We have our routine and I know what works for getting it done. It's just that everything on Sundays is a constant reminder of how much I miss my partner.

And today is the worst day we've had. I didn't expect it, but Super Bowl Sunday makes me miss him more than I have during this patrol. I think it might be because it feels like holiday only it really isn't one. If Tim were gone over Christmas or Thanksgiving, people would be sympathetic and invite us over. They'd say things like, "I'm so sorry that your husband is gone today. Do you have plans? You shouldn't be alone today." And even though today isn't a holiday, it's a day that makes me miss him terribly. If Tim weren't at sea we'd be having a fun dinner together and watching the commercials, er, I mean the game. It's not a big deal, it just would be nice if people acknowledged that today might be tough.

But that's enough feeling sorry for myself. It's just one more day closer to Tim coming home - whenever that might be. And after throwing this pity party for myself, I made Mark Garrett and I Crazy Nachos. Actually, it was my version of them. But they were pretty good anyway. Good enough to impress a 3 year old at least. And I'm still going to watch the game. Life goes on, right? I guess I'm rooting for the Cardinals tonight. Who doesn't like a good underdog story? Plus, I think Kurt Warner is a stand up guy along with my brother-in-law from Arizona. So there it is. Go Cardinals!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry it was such a rough day for you! You're on the downhill part of the patrol right? Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Super Bowl Sunday was not super for you. There is no rule that says you can't have a pity party or two while Tim's gone, or while he's home for that matter. If it makes you feel any better, tonight I ate my weight in little smokies wrapped in bacon, topped with brown sugar. Pork wrapped in pork...now there's some calories. Bet those crazy nachos don't seem so crazy after all. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, I hear ya, and I'm only on day one. Lol!

    Darned deployments. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete