So, I'm going to admit something tonight. I watch "The Bachelor". Not only do I watch it, but I really love watching it. Tim hates it and won't watch it with me. (I don't really blame him for this. He is a guy. ) Since he's at sea I'm actually getting to watch it on the night that it originally airs instead of a few days later from my DVR. And I'm thoroughly enjoying this particular season. So much drama! As far as the show concept goes, I don't know that it's the world's best way to find a mate (especially considering the show's record of long-term matches) but it makes for great television for me.
As much as I love this show though I have to vent. These silly little girls are already talking about how they are falling "in love" with Jason. They gush about how much they care about him and want to spend the rest of their life with him after only knowing him a few weeks. Most of them have only been on group dates! And while I'm sure that riding in a helicopter over LA or Vegas is fun and magical and dancing during a private concert is romantic, it's not love.
What is love then? Love is my Mamaw and Papaw still holding hands 56 years into their marriage. Love is my Grandaddy caring for my Granny as she declines with Alzheimer's. Love is doing Tim's stinky boat laundry. Love is Tim holding my hand as I give birth to our two boys. (Love is also giving birth while watching football because it's Texas/OU weekend.) Love is taking your family to church each week. Love is cooking dinner for your husband. Love is leaving your wife a card for each week you are at sea. Love is caring for your children together. Love is so much more than a romantic kiss or a feeling of butterflies in your stomach. Love is a choice to forgive and see the other person as Jesus does - redeemed.
Don't misunderstand me. I'm still going to be watching The Bachelor every Monday night. I'm not bothered by the misunderstanding of "love" that much! I even have a favorite I'm rooting for. (If you'd like a hint her name rhymes with "Menefanie".) I just wanted to clear a few things up about love...
Anyone else have a favorite?
Goals for 2020
6 years ago
I also watch The Bachelor and am enjoying this season more than most, although I did love Jessie last season from the start and am totally bummed that they aren't together. (Ben doesn't really watch it with me either and always seems surprised that it's 2 hours long. He usually just says, "this is terrible.") I also love Trista and have e-mailed her a few times and she actually wrote me back, but that's another story! :) I think the girls are in love with the idea and the show. I mean, it's not like they're going to get such extravagent dates in real life...not with a little boy running around with them! That will be a rude awakening to some. Sadly, I haven't memorized their names, so I just had to look it up and am going for Stephanie although Ben thinks that she's too good for him (he always says that though). :) Anyway...
ReplyDeleteThat's cool that Tim left you a card for each week that he's at sea! What a sweet guy! Love is definitely a choice and not a feeling.
Have a great day!!
We watch the Bachelor too, Ryan however, likes it and doesn't try to hide it. I have a secret theory that men like it, but are too prideful to admit it:) Anywho, we like to watch it and provide a running commentary on the makeup, dresses, and ridiculous things the girls say. I like Jason and hope's it's a repeat of Trista and Ryan for him. I didn't like Jesse or DeAnna, so hopefully her return to the show isn't as dramatic as the preview makes it out to be.
ReplyDeleteI watch the bachelor too.
ReplyDelete**Blushing**
It's like watching a train wreck. I can't look away.
Guilty here as well...(Mary, not Wendell...)
ReplyDeleteLOVE your 'love is' paragraph.
ReplyDelete