There are few things that my mom has taught me and I have learned doing showers:
1. The little touches make the difference. We had a mix of boys and girls, so we chose to use all yellow and white. So I found small yellow ducks to place around my house to add touches of "baby". I also used some of the boys old gifts to decorate with. I wouldn't regift them, but they are perfect for using in decorations.
2. Consider hosting a display shower. This doesn't work for every occasion, but when it works, it can really make your shower pleasant. If you have a large number of invites or multiple guests of honor, you can make the shower "display only" and not open presents. We made a note on the invitation that you could choose to bring your gift unwrapped for display or wrapped for each mother to open later. Each mother had her own table for her gifts and there were a mixture of gifts to look at and gifts that were wrapped. The mothers-to-be loved not being the center-of-attention and the guests were relieved not to have to sit through opening 30+ gifts.
3. Elegant most often is simple. We tried to keep our food and table very simple. We chose to make double recipes of several dishes instead of making 6-8 different items to serve. It made the food easy to arrange tastefully on the table and easy to serve. We also chose to stick with a simple color scheme. White and yellow were mixed with clear glass and silver pieces. Not everything was "matchy-matchy" but it still looked as if everything belonged on the table together.
What do you think ?
Use serving pieces of different heights to add interest to your table. We even used a box and a second table cloth to elevate our cake.
Placing all your beverages in a different room than the food helps traffic flow and keeps people mingling.
For my gift, I made each mother a diaper cake using their nursery colors and theme. It helped to distinguish each table and personalize their gift. I also made closet dividers that I'll be detailing on Today's Housewife this week.
I created a baby carriage from a watermelon to help dress up the table.
mmmmmmmm...jello punch. Everything looks great! Reminds me of my shower, super cute!
ReplyDeleteYeah, it had the same decorating committee as your shower! :) Actually it wasn't the jello punch, but a different frozen punch recipe. This one has orange juice, pineapple juice and lemonade. Good times.
ReplyDeleteI love the wooden blocks in the glass vase!
ReplyDeleteAs a guest at the shower I can say what a beautiful event you threw. You were so gracious and the house and decorations were lovely. In fact, it was so good that no one seemed to want to leave! 3+ hours into the shower and there was still quite a crowd.
ReplyDeletelove the blocks everywhere especially in the hurricane! and the watermelon buggy! you're awesome!!!
ReplyDelete