Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It's About Time!

We've been working on our taxes the past few weekends. You'd think they'd be fairly straight-forward, right? Tim's an active duty military member so his home of residency is considered Texas no matter where we get stationed. Unfortunately, that is not the case for me. I am considered a resident of the current state in which we live. In 2008 I was resident of 3 states. That means we get to prepare and file 4 separate returns. Yes. You read that correctly. 4 returns. My self-employment status means that I must file my business income in all three states in which we lived, plus a federal joint return. (Can anyone say Fair Tax please!?!)

Thankfully, there is legislation being introduced to fix this complication of military life. Representative John Carter (R-TX31) introduced the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act on February 25. This is actually the second time he has introduced this piece of legislation. It was passed by the House last fall but died in the Senate and did not become law before Congress adjourned in December. This simple legislation would allow any military spouse to claim the same state of residency as their husband or wife serving in the military.

What can you do to help? Please take a moment to call, email or write your representative and senator. Ask them to co-sponsor and support Senate bill 475 and House Resolution 1182. Military families make a great deal of sacrifices for our country. This is one very practical way you can show them your support and appreciation.

6 comments:

  1. I thought my one return was bad enough :)
    Hopefully this new bill will be passed for your sanity in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have already emailed my congressman! If it helps, I'll take the two weasels off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yuck. I hated filling out two state tax forms when we moved from Maine to California. I never knew about this.
    I certainly will support this and email our congress people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting us know! I'll email today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had no idea, this would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I were just talking about this one.

    ReplyDelete